Collusion – bridging the gap between iPad and Paper: What I know thus far
After attending the Beta Backers Party last night and writing up my initial thoughts on Collusion and the wonderful new stylus for iPads I thought I should do a second post this evening throwing together some of the juicy details that I was able to find out from the Collusion team about just what we can expect from the final product.
So here is what I managed to find out from the guys last night 🙂 enjoy and if you have any questions that you would like to know more on pop a comment here and I can ask the team at the next Beta Backers Party and be sure to check out the project on Kickstarter:
- How large will the canvas be?
Any single canvas will be very large in size, there will be a practical size limit but it will be very large.
- Will the Collusion App for iPad work over 3G as well as WiFi?
Yes it will, the team is currently working on putting together optimisations to help minimise the impact of the inherent unreliability/volatility of 3G connections.
- Will the hardware device and pen be available in Black and White to those that have backed the project on Kickstarter?
I was told this was dependant on two factors, firstly there needs to be at least 2000 backers on KickStarter as the batches will be in 1000 lots. The second requirement is that there would be roughly a 50/50 split of people that wanted black vs white.
- Will there be an API available for other iPad apps to use the pen interface?
As per the FAQ: The hardware API will not be opened. Once the fundamentals of the collusion platform are downpat (post V1) they will consider opening the software platform via API.
- Why havent you used dropbox or [insert online service here]?
Collusion’s cloud integrates both storage and real time collaboration – these elements have been optimised to work together to form the worlds fastes cloud collaboration service, whereas 3rd party cloud storage is simply that, its a different tool entirely.
- Will an Android version be available?
Not at this stage but “watch this space”!
- Will there be another Beta Backers Party?
Yep in a couple of weeks time (keep an eye on the Kickstarter project for details).
- Will I be able to work offline?
Yes, the specific method of how this will be achieved is still under development.
- A bit behind the technology of the pen itself:
- It uses ultrasonic sound and two microphones together with simple trigonometry to know where the pen is on your iPad screen.
- The drawings, strokes, and lines you create are each individually stored as vector images. I will let you ponder the awesomeness of that yourselves
So thats it, I hope some of you find that useful, I will try to find out as much as I can each time there is a Beta Backers Party and look forward to seeing some of you there.