Fix: VMWare vSphere Host Update Utility for ESXi

Recently I ran into an issue with the VMWare vSphere Host Update Utility that was causing it to report that my ESXi server was up to date when I was well aware that several newer builds were available. After much poking around on the web and coming up trumps I had to set to work to attempt to resolve the issue myself. Therefore I managed to devise this procedure which should hopefully resolve issues when the vSphere Host Update Utility is ignoring updates or in other words simply not detecting that updates were available.

I found a relatively simple procedure which should clear the cache out and cause the vSphere Host Update Utility to do a complete rescan of the host and correctly detect that there are updates available. Due to the newest release of vSphere 4.1 which no longer uses the Host Update Utility this affects only versions 4.0 and earlier (though I was experiencing it with ESXi 4.0 U1 myself)

To resolve the issue follow these steps:

  1. Load up the Host Update Utility and remove the host causing issues from the list
  2. Uninstall both the VMWare vSphere Host Update utility and the VMWare vSphere Client
  3. Reboot your computer
  4. Install the vSphere client and Host Update Utility Again (for good measure I put these in a different folder to the original)
  5. Load up the Host Update Utility, add back the ESXi Host and scan for the patches (You should now see any new patches available).

I hope that this can help someone else out as I have to say it drove me up the wall for some time.

If anyone has any simpler way of this I would certainly welcome it.


O’Reilly books at 50% off!

This one is good news for all you geeks out there. It looks like O’Reilly Media have extended their discount offer of Buy X eBooks get X eBooks free (where X is however many you want to purchase). O’Reilly I would think are most famous for their “Liama” and “Camel” book series for various programming languages including everything from Perl, to PHP to C/C++.

So the good news is you can get 50% off any eBooks you purchase. You can visit to see all the books that the have available. As below you get the eBooks in multiple formats, all DRM free.

The coupon code you have to use is “BXGXF” as per the below email I received, they had a thing at the bottom saying “Forward to a friend” LOL so I hope they do not object to me mass releasing it to the interweb.

50% Off O'Reilly Books

Some of the books that I have purchased and have read/am currently reading that I would recommend are:

And just in case you are wondering what I have in my collection you can see the image below of all the O’Reilly eBooks I have.

[rokbox thumb=”×193.png” title=”My O’Reilly Ebooks”][/rokbox]

Locked yourself out of Terminal Services? Give this a whirl!

One issue I have run into time and time again at work is when either myself or colleagues leave themselves logged into Terminal Services (using Remote Desktop Protocol or RDP for short) on a server and therefore lock out anyone but themselves from logging back ON to the server. Obviously this is targeted at servers running on the Wintel architecture.

This issue cropped up for me again and I was struggling to find a way to kick the other terminal services connections or terminate them or (well LOL I had a few other thoughts that were kinda graphic but hey we are trying to be professional here). Luckily a colleague was able to assist me and gave me this gem which I was unable to find elsewhere on the net (probably from a lack of the correct keywords).

If you need to force access to the console session for a host running Microsoft Windows Server 2003, MS Windows Server 2008 or probably a host of other Windows server and desktop hosts, give this little command line switch a try.

On the run command prompt of the computer you are connecting from (the guest) instead of running plain old ‘mstsc’ instead run ‘mstsc / -console /admin’.

I have no idea why (and will try to do some research later unless someone else can shed light on this) the straight up ‘-console’ switch did not work as a lot of people on the net said it would, without the ‘/admin’ switch I just kept getting the error “Terminal Services had reached the maximum number of licences” and so on.

So… I hope this helps you out next time pesky wabbits leaveĀ themselvesĀ logged onto your servers and stop you from logging on to RDP.