MacBook Pro 2011 graphics (GPU) crashing – Possible Workaround
Update: Well there is a moot point Apple has quite literally overnight just released an update to fix this –> http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1368
Like many other users of the brand new MacBook Pro 2011 model I have been experiencing issues with the GPU crashing, graphics freezing up and other stability issues since I first took delivery of my new MBP.
I have also been lucky enough to have the issue that overnight when my computer locks itself for some reason this causes the GPU to crash also therefore when I try to log on in the morning I find that I have to do a hard boot (which interestingly has caused data corruption on an external volume twice now *sigh*).
I digress, I have figured out a bit of a work around when the GPU crashes which I have only tested twice but I would love to hear feedback (please leave a comment here) on if this has worked for you as well.
- When the GPU Crashes, ensure you can still turn your caps lock on and off (this will confirm it is a GPU crash and not a full system crash)
- If you can turn the caps lock on and off, press the power button once on your Mac Book Pro (do not hold it down, just press it once).
- Wait for the system to hibernate/sleep etc
- Once the system has powered off, press the power button again
- Wait for the system to start back up again
- Disconnect an external display if you have one now, or reconnect it if you do not, then the graphics should come back on
Why does this work???? NFI I am new to the Mac Platform so will not even try to explain it. I have only used this to reset the GPU after a crash overnight but I am guessing it will work if you have a GPU crash during normal work as well.
Let us all just hope that Apple Fixes this ASAP.