Collusion – bridging the gap between iPad and Paper: My first thoughts…
I use my iPad all day, every day. However, one thing that the iPad sorely lacks is the ability to use a medium of input that we have had engrained in our lives since primary school… the humble pen. There are many different iPad stylus solutions around today, but none that I have used have offered any remote level of accurate input or natural “it just feels like using a pen” feeling that I want to get out of my iPad.
I have just come home from the first Beta Backers Party with the team from Collusion and I have some great news for anyone that owns an iPad. I have tried out the prototype and can say that the team at Collusion have thought long and hard about this problem and come up with an ingenious and extremely effective solution to bring natural pen input to the iPad.
Tonight, at the Beta Backers Party I used Collusion App and pen and my first response was “No WAY!!! That is INSANE!”. I thought the concept was great before using the device but after having a play I could not believe how well the concept has been executed. I can also happily say that the money I have put in to back the project on kickstarter has been well invested.
- Speed of input was spectacular and the input from the pen that was recorded was extremely accurate (even when writing small text)
- I could write naturally with my palm resting on the iPad while writing without causing unwanted input
- Drawing was great fun and the ability to draw diagrams, along side annotating text was a VERY welcome feature
- The collaboration feature where we had three people writing on the one canvas while syncing with the cloud and the other iPads in the room, worked brilliantly and gave a whole new aspect to playing tic-tac-toe
- The concepts behind the app for the iPad itself have been well thought out and although the app was a three month old prototype you could see the potential (see below)
- Unfortunately we could only see a three month old prototype of the app (however there is a very valid reason for this please see below) so there were the occasional glitches which have all been addressed and a couple of quirks here and there which are not present in the as-yet unseen version of the app
- Regardless of the above… I want one NOW!!!
What we saw this evening:
Tonight the team showed us a prototype of the software that was put together by a single developer in six weeks and this was done three months ago. The reason we were unable to see the latest release of the app is due to new shiny version not quite being ready for prime time the team wants to make sure it 100% right before showing off all the bells and whistles.
Robert and Nav were there however Surmeet is at home resting up with the flu so couldn’t be there. However both Robert and Nav were extremely helpful and were able to answer MANY MANY MANY questions that I had regarding the device, what it will be like on final production and some of the upcoming features of the app.
I was able to try out the collaborative “canvas” feature of the application and saw real time synchronising to the cloud and other iPad’s in the same room.
While I can’t tell you EVERYTHING I found out about the Collusion app right here right now (waiting to hear back on what information I *can* say… I can tell you that on final release it is going to be EPIC and even from seeing the original three month old prototype I would have no hesitation in starting to work with the prototype tomorrow. So I am excited to think of just how streamlined the Collusion app will be on public release.
If you have any questions flick them through and I will be more than happy to pose them to the team when I next poke and prod them. If you have an iPad and you are in Sydney keep an eye out on the Kickstarter project as I hear there will be another chance to meet the team in a couple of weeks. I would *highly* recommend you come on down and have a try of the hardware and app in person as you will be blown away.
So to sum up:
- Is it real: YES
- Is it FINALLY the bridge between paper and iPad: YES
- Is it coming: It most definitely is and I personally can’t wait